Monday, August 27, 2012

My Skin Care: History and Current Routine


How are you today? It sure was one crazy week for every one! I guess you are all enjoying your long weekend. =D

As for me, I don't know *sarcastic tone* what that is! Hahaha!!! In our industry, we follow Korean Holidays. So, while you are chillin' out, I am still here, in front of my computer, teaching language, grammar, pronunciation, etc. to my Korean students. =)


Anyway, I just thought about sharing with you my skin care routine. To tell you the truth, I am a late bloomer when it comes to skin care. I used to be scared of using creams and stuff on my face, although I see my grandmother and other relatives use various kinds of skin care products while I was growing up with them. I used to think that I was "too young" for such stuff.


HISTORY

The only skin care "routine" that I lived by until I started working was, just cleanse. Yes, ONLY cleanse. I would occasionally try out some stuff like honey mask but not in a regular basis. I used to be scared of using toners for other people (like my mom) think that it'll burn my skin. As for creams, moisturizers and other products that provide moisture (and eventually leave a heavy feel), I wasn't that enthusiastic in trying them out because I thought I didn't need them. =D


My eyes were only peeled open when I started watching Michelle Phan's videos, started collecting Cosmopolitan magazines and grew my love for cosmetics. I learned from Michelle Phan that skin care should never be skipped. That is, if you wanted to have better looking skin when you get older. At that time, I was nearing my mid-20's. And reading about growing wrinkles at that age bracket, I have been interested on how to keep my skin wrinkle-free. Besides, it was also the dawn of my discovery for the beauty of Koreans' skin. I was very amazed at how nice looking their skin is.


My journey started there. Since I loved makeup, all I ever cared for was to be able to remove my makeup thoroughly. While my sister-in-law could sleep with her makeup on, I hate not washing my face before going to bed. I am bothered about what stuff are lying on my face - dirt, makeup and other microbes that could cause mishap on my skin. I would wash my face twice or use a citrus smelling cleansing balm (from iWhite Korea) to remove my makeup. I always want to sleep with fresh, squeaky clean skin. ^__^


However, I still don't use toners. In as much as I wanted to have clear skin, I still shied away from toners. Then, I started looking for moisturizers and road tested some drugstore products. =D



LIFE WITH PCOS

It was only a couple of years ago that I started breaking out badly. I suspect it is due to my PCOS. A few months before my breakout, the doctor gave me low dose birth control pills that helped well in keeping my menstruation regular and my skin tamed. As far as I have researched, those low dose pills are called "beauty pills" mainly because they regulate the hormones, making the skin acne free. Even before the acne flare out, my skin was okay and my officemates would compliment on it. What more when I used the low dose birth control pills! My skin was really good that time. Mind you, it's my first time taking contraceptives and I couldn't believe that I will be needing them. After three months, I stopped taking them, since the doctor advised me to take it for only three months. For some reasons, I didn't return to see the OB-Gyne again.


The following months without the contraceptives has made my body change. My period became irregular more than ever, missing two to three months the worst. My cravings made me gain weight (which some of my friends and relatives found nice) and worse, worse, worse of all, breakouts pop out often, never giving my skin a break. It's okay if they're the normal kind of zit - but then, they are painful, cystic ones. I knew I mustn't worry much, because stress will just worsen it. But I can't help it! My wedding was only a few months away! =(


I decided scouring for products that would help me alleviate the breakouts. I also decided to upgrade my skincare regimen to be able to be really prepared for my big day. I was hoping to have perfect, smooth skin on my big day. Read here on what I did a few months before my wedding. I even had to go back to basics! Sadly, on the day of my wedding, I had to endure walking the aisle with a couple of zits that appeared on the morning of my big day! TT__TT

The bride (with her zits)

It was a huge fail, but I'm glad that my makeup artist was able to cover up those ill-behaved zits! =D


Since then, I've always been in search of how to deal with my pesky breakouts.


So far, the regimen below has helped in taming the "shrew". =D


Morning

1. Garnier Pure Active Multi-Action Scrub (Review here.)
     I would wash my face with this and leave it on while I bathe.



2. Korean Moisturizers (Samples from the prizes I previously got from my winnings.) and Nivea Visage Q10plus Anti-Wrinkle Day Cream (Review here.)
     Yes, yes, I don't have the toner part. =D Well, I tried using a House of Obagi Toner but I ran out of it and I haven't found a good toner out there. Any recommendations? 
     So, I immediately move on to moisturizing. =D I used up my Korean moisturizers as I don't want them to expire and go to waste. So far, Korean moisturizers work for me. =)



3. Maybelline Baby Lips Lip Balm (Review here.)
     Lips need some lovin' too! Do you know that there was a point in my life that I got addicted to this lip balm that I apply it after every class? Yes, I did! That was every 25 minutes! =D Good thing this baby lasted me a few months. =D



4. Garnier Anti-Perfections Roll On (Review here.)
     I only apply this when I have zits. =)



Evening


1. Garnier Pure Active Multi-Action Scrub
     Yes. I always feel the need to wash my face before going to bed. I can't stand feeling sticky and grimy. I want to feel fresh before hitting the sack! =D

2. Krave Minerale Panacea Olio Nutriente (Review here.)
     This is my evening elixir. Read on my review to know more on how I started using it. =)



3. Maybelline Baby Lips Lip Balm
     I want to have soft and kissable lips when I wake up in the morning.  Plus point when waking up hubby with kisses! =D


Here's a visual on how my evening regimen goes...

Step 1:
I wash my face with  Garnier Pure Active Multi-Action Scrub. I make a good lather and look like this:
Awooo.... =D




I don't use a towel. I let my face dry on its own. =)


Step 2:
I apply Krave Minerale Panacea Olio Nutriente in massaging and finger tapping motions.




Step 3:
Next, I swipe on Maybelline Baby Lips Lip Balm. =)





Step 4:
I use Garnier Anti-Perfections Roll On when there's a zit or two. =)


There! Some parts of the usual skin care routine might be missing, but I am glad it works for me. I will update you soon as I change it or update it. You might find my routine lacking, but I am taking baby steps in creating my own routine. So far, I am researching on Asian skin care. =)


How do you do your skin care routine? How did you start?


If you have tips for me and my PCOS? Any product recommendations for a skincare noob like me? =D


Blog Signature2

No comments:

View My Stats